Re: HYB: Blyth survivors

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Blyth survivors
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:49:49 -0500

I think this remains to be seen - neither Keppel, Ghio, nor Blyth intros
have a track record for halfway decent performance east of the
Mississippi.  When I asked Keith for advice on selecting cultivars that
might do well for me, he grumbled something about everything he sends me
(and Waltah) dies <g>.  That's an exaggeration, but some of these
gorgeous creations just don't like it here.  I don't have LOUISA'S SONG,
but have its sib, SILK ROMANCE, which looks about as bad right now as
anything in the garden.  I drool over photos of these beauties too, but
....  just call me a wet blanket for now.

Neil, how old are you talking about? Older has the advantage of knowing
ahead of time how it might grow in different regions.

CRAZY FOR YOU is 1998, only one year older than LOUISA'S SONG and the
same year as MAN ABOUT TOWN.  ABOUT TOWN is 1996.  MASTERY is more
recent, but has significant performance problems here (i.e. zero bloom
so far, tho it has increased).  Patiently waiting to hear from others
how LOUISA'S SONG does in the southeast before I jump on the

<One thing that has been really interesting to me is a substantial shift
in direction taking place in Blyth's breeding a few generations
back......... Currently LOUISA'S SONG and its sibs, including SILK
ROMANCE have been especially  productive of wide, beautifully formed and
remarkable colorful creations. .......My mouth  waters and my
imagination soars.  ....We're in for a revolution in iris development
through these contacts and sharing of resources.....I believe it not
especially productive to depend on the older Blyth work       .....
Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: