Re: CULT: slough of despair (was Blyth etc

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: CULT: slough of despair (was Blyth etc
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:42:34 -0500

<There must be a slough of despair for irises just east of the

Actually, it goes a bit west of the Mississippi (have to include Donald
Eaves), and mostly south (zone 7/8).  :-(

Remember the Atlanta AIS convention?  I wasn't there, but heard about
it.  We had one of those 'normal' late winter/early spring seasons with
a lot of warm weather followed by a late hard freeze.  Lots of rot,
sorry looking plants, and complaints about having a convention in a part
of the country where 'everybody knows' you can't grow TBs because of all
the climate related disease problems.

And then there was the Oklahoma convention.  Same thing happened there.
Hybridizers from better climates who had never seen that kind of climate
damage blamed it on soil amendments.

And then there's Mid-America Garden - used to be in Oklahoma, packed up
their business and moved to Oregon for the same reason.

Yes, it is a slough of despair for irises - even The World of Irises
says so.

Something got lost in translation - Bill B is right about susceptibility
to our climate not just affecting intros from Blyth, Ghio, & Keppel.  I
wasn't singling theirs out, but theirs are the ones Neil was
recommending and the ones I really admire and will keep trying to grow,
searching for the toughest ones.

And that's why I am especially interested in hearing which ones from
these three hybridizers Paul Hill has had good success with in Atlanta.
Linda Mann aka Rot Queen
Slough of Despair, east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: