Re: Re: CULT: slough of despair (was Blyth etc

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Re: CULT: slough of despair (was Blyth etc
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" lacedgables@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:58:23 -0800 (PST)

Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:

Yes, it is a slough of despair for irises - even The World of Irises
says so.

Something got lost in translation - Bill B is right about susceptibility
to our climate not just affecting intros from Blyth, Ghio, & Keppel.  I
wasn't singling theirs out, but theirs are the ones Neil was
recommending and the ones I really admire and will keep trying to grow,
searching for the toughest ones.

And that's why I am especially interested in hearing which ones from
these three hybridizers Paul Hill has had good success with in Atlanta.

Linda:  Hello!  It seems as though this one question has brought about a lot of debate. So I'll add to it...I lived in Atlanta for three years before moving to DC.  I remember VERY clearly what went on in my garden and some of the particular plants that I heard others complain about.  Ghio was rarely grown by many there, but I had 'Romantic Evening' and it did very well for me....I made a few very important crosses on it during those years.

Keith Keppel had some plants that did great others did not.  'Wishful Thinking' and 'Fogbound' both did beautifully, but some of the pinks, 'Social Event' being one, barely hung on. 'Crowned Heads' bloomed, but the stalk fell over as soon as the blooms opened.  Blyths 'Aura Light' became one of those Pea Soup plants that melted before your eyes when the summer rains and heat came on. 'Affaire' never bloomed and 'Eletrique' grew no taller than about fifteen inches the whole two years I tried it.  But I did get a cross from 'Mauvelous'.  It became one of my best crosses.

'Dauber's Delight' didn't stand a chance and that avenue of breeding came to a halt.

'Clarence' not only grew well it rebloomed well.  Tom Burseen's plants did better than most others.

'Triffid' was a great plant never a rot problem, and 'Mauvelous' did well also.

'Snow Shoes' didn't stand a chance...and 'Hello Darkness' suffered eternal darkness.....

These are just a few of the plants, and I'm reading directly from my garden journal....

Then there were the seedlings!  That experience made me break out in a panic.....SDB seedlings would take a beating, sometimes never blooming.  Many TB seedlings melted before they ever made it through the first summer.  I had a very interesting thing happen with the cross of (Electrique x Mauvelous).  Most of the seedlings suffered some but they survived.  Then one in particular seedling shot up and stood its ground, grew a beautiful stalk and bloomed like nothing was happening around it.  That seedling was not the most beautiful, but it had the best stalks of any other plant.  I'll enclose a photo.

Though this does not cover the bases, it was some of my experience.  It seemed like Blyths did the worst.  Sad to say because I love his work.  His SDB's always did well....notice all the 'Chanted' in my seedlings I've been posting.....Paul

Yahoo! Groups Links

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links