Re: CULT: evaluating performance

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: CULT: evaluating performance
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:24:58 -0500

One of the ways I evaluate performance of various cultivars is at our
annual club sales, meetings, and shows.  When somebody donates 20 big
healthy rhizomes to our sale, it's a good sign that cultivar will grow
here <g>  Every year, we buy a good sized order of newish intros for the
club to grow as a way to find newer cultivars that will do well in our
area.

Bob Pries - two years ago, I tried to do something somewhat similar (but
less structured) by collecting information from growers in Region 7 and
MS.  I got input from 7 or 8 people on whether or not a cultivar had
lived or died, did well or average, looking at all the recent AM & HM
winners.  I summarized the results - see the iris-talk archives & a
little article in the Region 7 Irisarian.  I asked if anybody wanted to
collect similar info this past year and only got a reply from one
person, so that was the end of that.  You are quite right - the
potential for regional cyber trial gardens is immense, but most
gardeners don't want to bother.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511