Re: [iris] Re: CULT: slough of despair (was Blyth etc

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: [iris] Re: CULT: slough of despair (was Blyth etc
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:57:44 -0600

> Actually, it goes a bit west of the Mississippi (have to include Donald
> Eaves), and mostly south (zone 7/8).  :-(

Yes, Linda, I think I belong in it.  But Bob's points about microclimates
and anecdotal observations are good ones.  I cannot tie what I see to
specific hybridizers.  I can't even really tie it to any given cultivar from
season to season.  The behavior and what is observable varies too much.  I
cringed a bit when I read Mike Greenfield's comment that about 80% of the
TBs he acquires do well.  My first reaction was that probably 80% don't do
well here.  I think it's probably not quite that bad.  Certainly I'm not
saying they die.  But they surely don't do really well all too often.  One
season of good performance, then three or four where the performance is
substandard.  Frankly, the last recent years have sent some varied and
unkind conditions this direction.  On top of naturally tough soil, there has
been erratic weather and perennial grasshopper plagues.  All those things
affect performance, but it's difficult to know just what is doing what.  Too
many things being thrown at the iris to know.  That has been my
microclimate, but a microclimate less than twenty miles from me results in
very different results.  Some of those puny performers have done really well
when given to those new owners.  They aren't iris people as those on this
list, so don't really know how lucky they are in their spot.  I don't think
they even know what rot is.  So remember, when selecting your real estate
that it's location, location, location :).

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: