Re: Re: CULT: evaluating performance

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: CULT: evaluating performance
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:10:58 -0800 (PST)

Linda; I applaud your efforts; When one considers the possibilities of gathering information among regions and chapters the potential is enormous but it is generally met with an equally strong apathy. In preparing the SIGNA checklist, I wanted to include such characters as branching and bud count, dimensions of flowers, etc. I made many many pleas for this type of information. I even called people who had a plant blooming in there garden at the time, and still they could not find time to go into their garden with a pencil and paper to make notes. I have to admit that it is a pain. At the spuria convention last spring I tried to make as many notes as I could and people generally made fun of my efforts. It seems when someone wants to look up something they can be real critical that the information is not there but they are not willing to be a part of gathering that information. I am still gathering information, and still asking, as everyone probably knows by now I am! a hardheaded German who doesn't know when to give up.

Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:
One of the ways I evaluate performance of various cultivars is at our
annual club sales, meetings, and shows.  When somebody donates 20 big
healthy rhizomes to our sale, it's a good sign that cultivar will grow
here <g>  Every year, we buy a good sized order of newish intros for the
club to grow as a way to find newer cultivars that will do well in our

Bob Pries - two years ago, I tried to do something somewhat similar (but
less structured) by collecting information from growers in Region 7 and
MS.  I got input from 7 or 8 people on whether or not a cultivar had
lived or died, did well or average, looking at all the recent AM & HM
winners.  I summarized the results - see the iris-talk archives & a
little article in the Region 7 Irisarian.  I asked if anybody wanted to
collect similar info! this past year and only got a reply from one
person, so that was the end of that.  You are quite right - the
potential for regional cyber trial gardens is immense, but most
gardeners don't want to bother.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links