Seedlings of mine.....

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Seedlings of mine.....
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" lacedgables@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:44:17 -0800 (PST)

I've got one last seedling to show that came up last season.  It is the best thing that  I've ever had bloom in my garden as a seedling.  I hope to introduce this as soon as I have enough to market...I will also be naming it after my mother, that's how much I like it.
1401-B: (Chanted x Cachet) E. 12" Dark blue purple stands with ruffled form. The beards are bright tangerine with outer 1/2 turning to a frosted blue.  The blue bleeds out onto an almost black spot area.  That black color veins out blending to the color of the stands. This had two very distinct branches and 4-5 buds per stem.  Also there were two stalks on the first year bloom.  I can just smell the breeding material here, and I have used every bit of pollen I could resulting in several pods and many seeds.  It did not take pollen very well, it seemed selective, easily providing pods on certain crosses and rejecting others completely.  This was the only seedling that was of this caliber in the mix of a test cross between these parents....My suggestion to any one reading and interested in hybridizing SDB's   ...use 'Cachet' as a parent.  Other things I crossed to it were not worth introducing, but were great in the suggestion of potential.....I have only small test crosses so far from 'Cachet' but will have more to come in the year ahead.  (I was even able to cross it to my pink median with spoons that I posted earlier.  One pod on that resulted in 42 seeds!)                                                                       Paul

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links

image/pjpeg

image/pjpeg