RE: Re; Seedling Photos

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] Re; Seedling Photos
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:27:01 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Paul Hill [mailto:lacedgables@yahoo.com]
Friday, January 30, 2004 4:28 AM
To: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com

·         Francelle:  Have you ever thought about planting your seeds in pots?  I have used 6" pots for years and find it to be the best solution to many problems.  When I lived in New Mexico, I had problems with enough moisture over one dry winter, but in later years, I stored the pots in the coldest area I could find and made sure they didn't dry out.

Yes, Paul, I usually do it that way.  I didn’t this year because I wanted to give them a head start in the ground to help them survive summer.  Also I have some serious arthritic problems that make transplanting a pain.  I have two pots full that I planted at approximately the same time.  They have much better germination, 28 and 30 plants out of 36 seeds each, and they all came up at the same time.  They aren’t growing as fast as those under the row covers though.  Soon I will have to transplant them, and they will go into transplant shock for awhile.  The ones in the big bed are crowded enough.  Where oh where am I going to put these?  One is a cross that I really want, Appleblossom Days X Happenstance.  Problems, problems, problems!

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click to learn more...

Yahoo! Groups Links