Re: seedling 952G8 (was Re; Seedling Photos)

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] seedling 952G8 (was Re; Seedling Photos)
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:09:08 -0500

Dave and Paul  -- I think the photos of 952G8 and its relatives from the same cross but a different pod illustrate some of the vagaries involved in working with the WABASH-type amoenas and neglectas.  The challenge, for me  --  and as yet not fully met  --  has been to bring the "plush" or "velvet" texture and color pattern of those older flowers up to modern form.  952G8, only 2 generations away from WABASH, has relatively modern form but has neither the full "velvet" nor the pattern of WABASH, whereas two of its relatives -- 952X1 and 952X11, whose photos I posted, have kept the "velvet" and the color pattern (even to being full amoenas), but are not as modern in form.   The bi-color 952X, on the other hand, while a bit more modern in form, has somewhat less "velvet" in the falls, and a less distinct edge.
The attached photo of 20Q11 is one generation farther along.  20Q11 is 952H1: (93RR2: (MARGARITA x MOMAUGUIN) x FRINGE OF GOLD)) x 952G8.  It has the graceful branching that I wanted from 93RR2 and still more modern flower form (though not yet enough), but no visible trace of its WABASH heritage (and none of the lush "velvet" of 93RR2, either).  Also, crossing 952G8 with the more archaic flower form of 93RR2 probably wasn't the greatest idea.  Even so, 20Q11's flower form doesn't appear to have regressed.  So, here are 93RR2 (grandparent), 952G8 (parent) and the progeny, 20Q11.  Can we still get something plush and WABASH-patterned out of 20Q11?  Not without calling on the cousins, I think.  --  Griff