Re: TB: 100 years from now

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: 100 years from now
  • From: "Patrick Orr" irisdude@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:22:43 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:22:43 -0700

Here is a wild idea...

In 100 years, mankind will have figured out how to communicate with garden pests and will convince them to help nurture the plants we love, and to ravage the plants we don't, like Kudzu for instance.  Ants will be scavengers of humus and broken down organic matter and bring it back to our gardens, constantly amending the soil for us. Locus and crickets will bring leaves in and take them away as our mulch needs require for retaining moisture.  Bumble Bees will only make the crosses we want, and all the crosses we want.  Aphids will suck all the juices out of the weeds in our gardens. Birds will help remove blown in weed seeds.  Spiders will help pull toed-in branches outward with their webs.  Thrips will only remove the pollen from pod parents we wish to have bees cross, especially on Spuria irises which self so easily. Iris Borers will come in and divide only the mature rhizomes for you from the mother rhizome within 2 year old clumps, and then make its home in only the old discarded mother rhizome, micro-organisms will remove rot and un-beneficial nematodes from the soil, rabbits will eat or carry away old iris leaves, cut worms will stop scorch from traveling all the way down to the rhizome by cutting the leaves in half and will also serve to trim leaves back to 6 inches prior to digging, dogs will serve to snap off spent bloom-stalks and chase away the stray cat looking to do what it does best in our gardens.

Yes, in 100 years, organic gardening will take on a whole new meaning.  Without all these things to do in our gardens, what will Rosalie do with her day?