RE: Analysis of MV's sedlings

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: Analysis of MV's sedlings
  • From: irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:10:23 -0500

MV's seedlings from this cross are very varied and I'll try to go through a
process of analying them if people are interested.
What I have done as first step is to create a folder with photos only of
these  seedlings and the parents and grandparents. Each of the seedling
photos has been renamed with the reference numbers of 1 to 14 with the first
seedling (stripped seedling) named "first". Giving 15 seedlings total from
this cross.
With this much variation it would be nice to have even more seedlings, but we
will work with what we have and see what we get.

First re recessives We have a number of Scenarios.

4 recessives x 2 recessives  gives 1 out of 6 offsprings have 4 recessive
genes
4 recessives  x 3 recessives  gives 1/2 seedlings with 4 recessive genes

4 recessives x 4 recessives gives all seedlings recessives
2 recessives x 2 recessives gives 1 out of 36 seedlings with 4 recessive
genes.
2 recessive genes x 3 recessive genes gives 1 out of 12
3 recessive x 3 recessive gives 1 out of 4

Also, and here is the kicker 1 recessive X 2 recessive can give as high as 1
out of 100 with 4 recessives. This depends on the distence of the gene from
the centrenome plus a couple of other variables. See  "Tetrraploid
Genetics"WOI pg 394-397. This fact also can influence the other frequences
somewhat.  The ratio of one out of 100 seems to be true with the plicata
genes. It can be much lower. What this means is that one example of a
recessive expression does not by itself mean that one parent has two
recessives but does guarantee it has at least one.

If there are enough people interested I'll proceed from here.

Chuck Chapman

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.