RE: Analysis of MV's sedlings Part one Tangerine factor

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: Analysis of MV's sedlings Part one Tangerine factor
  • From: irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:26:07 -0500

"Do proceed, Chuck.  It looks to me like a number of significant dominants
and recessives can be seen in the array.  I saw tangerine beard;
Progenitor-amoena I(s); Yellow in more than one pattern, the corona/Umbrata
combination, plicata alleles expressed; RRA of some sort--at least these, in
combination, with varying dosage levels.  What a rich mix!
Neil"

And Neil I can see at least four other factors. We're going to go slow and
start with the easiest factors and work from there. Some of these we will
have to go back and redo as we find new information. This is a really good
set of data to wwork with as there are so many parts to sort out.

The start is to get as much information on the backgrounds as possible. Not
only did we get the parents, we got the siblings and the siblings of the
seedling parent. All important information.

To get even more, I stated on the iris checklist data base to get parentage
of both Pencil Sketch and Sapphire Hills.  Fancy Woman doesn't need this sort
of analysis as it has a number of dominant and recessive genes , but
everything is there to see. All its recessives are in homozygous  sets (four
recessive genes).

The checklist gave me a lot of data but as I got farther and farther back,
the information got sketchy and the older data was not in the data base. I
then went to the HIPS site . There they have photos and family trees of a
number of signifiacant historic iris. I only took PS back two generations but
took Sapphire Hills back to basically ground zero. ( some of this data will
come in later).

With neither of these parents did I find a  single tangerine factor (t)
parent in ancestors.

We know FW has four "t" genes. So the first westion is how many t's are in
the seedling parent, and how does t show its self in the seedlings.

I'm going to make all those interested do some of the work. These seedlings
will take us into some of my new ideas and you all can give me some idea if
you think they fit with and explain the data.

So first set of problems
1)What are the possibilities re t in seedling parent.
2)How does the data support this
3) Any variance and how do you explain this variance/consolidate it with
other facts.

4) Graduate question -- Has PS or SH had any t phenotype offspring?

Remember when analysing data we are trying to find genotypes.

When we have finished with this we will tackle another factor. One at a time
as anything else would be too confusing, particular with this many sets of
genes floating around.

Chuck Chapman

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.