Re: veining color-Photo siblings - Why this Cross?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: veining color-Photo siblings - Why this Cross?
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" IrisLady@comcast.net
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:16:48 -0700

 (Sapphire Hills x Pencil Sketch) x Flights of Fancy

Donald, I chose this cross because
1.) one of my goals were to/and is to strengthen the luminata lines,
 2.) I thought, possibly, if I began with a couple of older varieties to
begin with  - I may be able to pick up some "lost by the wayside" genes (in
the realm of patterns/colors/or form), as well as vigor,
3.) The sketchy lines in Pencil Sketch fascinated me,
4.) The true blue color AND form in Sapphire Hills beckoned me.
5.) The result of the seedling parent (the amoena) was the most impressive
of the group - with the blue brushed over the falls, great budcount, decent
branching and vigor, so that was the one I decided to cross with Flights of
Fancy.
6.) I chose FOF as the other parent because:
a.) It was a luminata with decent growth habits, good health,
b.) It bloomed early (good for our climate),
c.) Nice height,
d.) and SO many rich colors present. :-) and slight purple flush up the side
of the standards.

See all the variety of colors in this iris? ( a great picture showing detail
by Tom Greaves)

http://www.hort.net/lists/highlight.cgi?bits=3&search=Flights+of+Fancy&URL=iris-photos/apr04/msg00882.html#marker

Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.