Re: TB: (Photo) Timewarp

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: (Photo) Timewarp
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:03:18 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Margie Valenzuela"
<IrisLady@c...> wrote:
> This is named Timewarp. Would this be considered a yellow plicata?
>
> Margie V.
> Oro Valley, AZ.
> Zone 8/9
> IrisLady@c...

An interesting question. Yellow plicatas are not suppose to exsist as
theoretically the yellow (oil soluble) and the anthocyanin (water
soluble) pigments shouldn't be controlled by the same factors. ( I
could go on at considerable lenght on this but not right now) But we
do see red on white plicatas and the red is a combination of
anthocyanin and cartenoid pigments, so what hapens if we then remove
the anthocyanin with a a dominant or recessive reduction of
anthocyanin gene(s?

In this case (another RAR relative) there is an ivory-green tone to
the falls and the dots are darker in colour. The picture in Cooley's
catalogue suggests less green-ivory tones, but these shades are often
edited out of  catalogue photos. This photo is probably more true to
life. Did you edit the colours?

I would love to test the pigment here to see if it was water or oil
based. Also a good close up shot of the dots would be nice.  I'm
getting a lot like this (yellow doting, orange stripes etc)with my
SDBs and like taking closeup photos of these patterns to try to make
sense of them. So far no good explination.

Facts are facts and when facts and theory conflict its often that the
theory needs some reworking. (It's harder to explain away exceptions
especially when ther are so many) This is why I'm so keen on checking
what variations on pigments and paterns there are and how they
interact with each other and how they fit into predicted outcomes as
with punnett suare analysis. There certainly are a lot of things that
don't fit the data as nicely as they should.

Chuck Chapman