RE: Analysis of MS seedlings -Beards

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: Analysis of MS seedlings -Beards
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:19:58 -0500

Margie V. asks, "Is the pigment analysis done on beards the same as on the petals?"

Margie, I cannot answer that based on solid knowledge and direct experience.  Chuck Chapman can, I believe, but I risk expressing an opinion I suspect is accurate.  The answer is "Yes."  Please, however, keep in mind my disclaimer.

Testing pigments in beard hairs might be rather tricky.  It means cutting off the significant portion of an awful lot of iris blossom fall petals.  The amount of tissue required for "kitchen chemistry" is probably several orders of magnitude greater than what would be needed for sophisticated laboratory analysis.

I suspect each of the pigments and the variations on those pigments have unique reflected light spectra, which could be graphed or measured electronically.  I don't know if anyone is doing that, but I am fairly sure it is possible as a method of identifying what or which pigments are present.

We just don't have access to either the techniques or the technicians--yet.  ---At least as far as I know.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links