Re: TB: (Photo) Timewarp

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: (Photo) Timewarp
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 05:12:54 -0000

This has always been a touchy subject, allthough I can't figure out
why. Usually when someone sugests that something is a yellow plicata
all sorts of denials of such an animal come out of the woodwork.
There always have been reddish or rosy-vlt plicatas on white but those
same people who say yellow plicata don't exsist become alfully quite
when asked about this. I posted quite some time ago a couple of
seedling photos from I. variagata seedlings, one of which was yellow
lines on white and sibs were the usual variagata red-brown lines on white.
Iris variagata has been around for longer then people have grown iris
and it has cartenoid and anthocyanin pigment distributed one on top of
each other. Also more interesting is Dykes assertion (or at least he
showed that you could get plicata from first generation of pallida x
variagata)  that plicata originated from a cross of pallida x
variagata. Although it seems unlikely that this should happen (both
anthocyanin and carotene in same pattern)it seems that it can. It may
very well be a structural thing rather then a pigment thing. That is a
gene that prevents pigment from cerain areas of the flower rather then
 a gene that distributes certain pigments.  A lot of broken colour
flowers with cartenoid pigments have random splotches of both
anthocyanin and cartenoid pigments with patches that have one but not
the other. Not all BCs but a good deal of them.

Now that we know that some flower cells can have anthocyanin vasculor
inclusions(AVI) perhaps wwe can also look here to see if there are
some  cellular changes to explain this.  The greenish tint also
intriques me.
To day while chasing down some esoteric historical pedigrees I ran
across  "TARADIDDLE  (B. Warburton, R. 1983)" a plicata with a lot of
green in it. Would love to see a photo of it. Green marks in SDB
plicatas show up farly regularly.

Lots more things that need checking into.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Margie Valenzuela"
<IrisLady@c...> wrote:
> Chuck, the colors on Time Warp was exactly how it looked like on
> (no color editing was done) The display was indoors under some
lights, but
> as far as I could tell those were it's actual colors. It may look a
> different outdoors, but I wouldn't think much different. It looked
to be as
> close to a yellow plicata as I've ever seen. I know one of my
seedlings from
> this last cross we are discussing looks *almost* to be a yellow
plicata too.
> Could that original theory been correct at one point in time? Would
> material in irises be evolving to the point that it is becoming
necessary to
> form a new theory?
> Margie V.
> Oro Valley, AZ.