Re: AIS:Color Patterns (was Timewarp)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos]AIS:Color Patterns (was Timewarp)
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:39:08 -0000

I just posted a long note on the yellow plicata issue. I hadn't read
this note or Neils note at that time. I looked up Hey Joe and it would
seem to fit the Yellow Plicata definition. I didn't find Pure and
Simple on first look but I suspect it is the solid band, Joyce Terry
pattern.  Thus no plicatas in the cross to Charleston unless there are
ALSO some plicata genes in there. The relationship of the JT pattern
to yellow plicata pattern is about the same as the Emma Cook pattern (
narrow band of anthocyanin around falls) to the plicata pattern.
Similar but not the same and under diferent genetic controls.

My own personal preference is to put definitions to the pattern
(phenotype) as closely to the genetic make up (genotype) as we can in
order to make good seperation and distinction. The better the similar
patterns are distinguished the less confusion there will  be in the
long run.
I would rather say

a yellow plicata crossed with a blue plicata ..
 a yellow banded  plicata genotype crossed with an anthocyanin banded
plicata genotype.
A lot simpler, in the long run. And more consistent and predictable
outcome with the seedlings, if that is what you wanted of course.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Autmirislvr@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 1/21/2005 9:54:37 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> neilm@c... writes:
> Doing the same with "plicata" will disorient or disturb the  more
> conservative of us, but I suspect the majority of folks in the  iris
world will
> not blink an eye at the change.
> Neil,  I looked up Hey Joe as you suggested!  Pity it was  never
> I'm still learning, and things like this add to my  confusion.
> If people don't want to call a yellow on white a plicata?  I'm  okay
> that, but I want to know what I do call it!  (Not just  yellow on
white) LOL!
> I'm thinking out loud here . . . if I  crossed something like Pure
and Simple
> (yellow standards, white fall  with yellow band) with something like
> (plicata) what would I  get???
> I feel the same about fall blooming irises that we aren't supposed
to call
> rebloomers.  If they ONLY rebloom in the fall, I'm okay with calling
them  fall
> bloomers.  But if they bloom in the spring AND fall, but don't meet
> set requirements?  What do we call them?
> More questions than answers!!!
> Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
> Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
> _www.thegardensite.com/irises/bridgeintime/_