Re: OT-PLANTS: spring?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: OT-PLANTS: spring?
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:10:07 -0500

These are snow crocuses or species crocuses,  not the regular large
flowered crocuses, which bloom quite a bit later.

These seem to need very little winter chill to be ready to come up, so
usually start blooming during the first warm spell after the first cold
spell.  They start popping open after a few days with highs in the 60s,
then get frozen when temps drop to the teens, but bloom some more when
it warms again and keep that up all spring.

So, some winters, January stays too cold for them and they don't start
blooming till February.  I don't remember them ever blooming before
mid-January or starting later than mid February.  Last week was the
anniversary of our 1985 all time record winter low - minus 25oF.  I am
sure they weren't blooming this early that year!!

I buy a bag of the bulbs every fall and plant them all over the place,
in the lawn, around trees.  Very inexpensive -I think the last batch I
got at WalMart was less than a penny a bulb on sale.  These light
lavender ones like it here the best- some have started self sowing in a
few places.

<Are the crocus flowering in your area?  Is this about the usual time
                   they flower?   Len S.  Wichita  Kansas>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links