Re: HYB: garbage?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] HYB: garbage?
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" IrisLady@comcast.net
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:43:38 -0700

I ALWAYS give my irises 2 bloom seasons. The form almost always gets better,
a slight color change will sometimes occur, appendages will sometimes occur,
and usually by the 2nd bloom season - you'll see if it's branch and

Example................ 2 springs ago - - I had the ugliest white
seedling - - it looked much like yours.................. form couldn't be
worse, maybe 4 buds, hardly any type of branching if you could call it
that - a real dog, and it was only a white.  But, I didn't discard it.  This
past spring it turned into a swan. One I'll be using as a parent now.  This
white iris flower has excellent waxy substance, a form full and graceful -
though not heavily ruffled, with wide halfs, nice branching, good
grower/increaser, and 14 buds!!! Not what I expected.

I didn't even take picture of it during maiden bloom it was so ugly. Get
this - - I even cut it out of photographs where it happened to appear. (big
grin) I was all ready to throw it out before it bloomed for it's second

Now I can't wait for it to bloom this spring.

Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9