Re: disease resistance,(wasHYB:PHOTO; R 19-1 )[was: Anomalys (garbage? any theories ?) ]

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] disease resistance,(wasHYB:PHOTO; R 19-1 )[was: Anomalys (garbage? any theories ?) ]
  • From: Walter Pickett waltseed2@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:29:56 -0800 (PST)

Neil A Mogensen <neilm@charter.net> wrote:n response to both Betty and Sandra, I might comment--
...There have been a number of times I've seen rather dramatic change in an iris from first bloom to later appearance, and have given some thought to why the change, mostly for the worst........
---It has been found by peanut breeders, that the effect of the mother in a cross can affect the resulting population for 2 or 3 generations.  I.E., AxB gives progeny that average different from BxA.
 But in the second generation, the two populations of seedlings are more nearly the same, and the next generation still more nearly the same, and the next generation, the two populations are the same.  This is when data from many unselected seedlings are combined in each population  The reason was not known when I last read about it..
The degree of maternal effect, as it is called, varies greatly from species to species, genus to genus.  Peanuts is one example that is most extreme and best documented.  I have no idea if this first bloom effect in iris is related to the maternal effect.

....This was the reason Orville Fay, many years ago, took his own Hall-ancestry pinks and bred one back to *Iris pallida* ( he used a named clone ) to claim the apparent virus resistence many clones of the species have.  Then he bred this back into his line......
---Thanks for the information on this breeding for disease resistance.  I really believe that if a breeder wanted to make a really long-lasting mark on iris, disease resistance is the way to do it.  But it isn't my main thrust at this time either.
Of course it needn't be EITHER disease resistance OR beauty.  Everyone who is selecting for good growth is selecting for some level of disease resistance.
Walter

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links