Seedling Iris tectorum hybrid

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Seedling Iris tectorum hybrid
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:56:11 -0800 (PST)

Here are photos of the seedling I posted about at
Iris-Talk and Iris-Species-Forum. The first image
shows the pleated foliage typical of Iris tectorum --
although it's atypically tall and narrow. The second
image shows a close-up of the leaf bases (at the
rhizome) where a little bit of PBF (purple based
foliage) is now showing. I've never seen PBF on any
Iris tectorum, so I'm encouraged that this is really
the intended hybrid: Iris tectorum alba X bearded
diploid (Iris pallida 'Kupari' X Iris variegata).

Has anyone ever seen this purple pigment at the leaf
bases of any clones of Iris tectorum?