Re: Seedling Iris tectorum hybrid

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Seedling Iris tectorum hybrid
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:48:16 -0800 (PST)

Chuck,
Thanks for your response. I agree -- the purple seems
to be more "around the rhizome" than out on the leaf
blades themselves. So, maybe another term would be
more appropriate than PBF. But in any case, I'm glad
that you think it looks like a hybrid. I thought so
too, but I didn't want to get too excited about it,
until it blooms.
Since the tectorum was white and the bearded parent
was a cross between a white pallida (glaciata) and
Iris variegata (yellow, purple and white), I'm hoping
for, and dreaming of, a flower color other than plain
purple. Actually, anything a little different from
'Paltec' and my 'Flying Dragon' (both of which are
purple selfs) would be nice. At least this one will
have the purple at the rhizomes to distinguish it.
Thanks again for your encouraging words.
Tom

irischapman@netscape.net wrote:

Thanks for the photos. Certainly look like a hybrid.

I don't consider the purple at the base as PBF. This
is a different condition, I call it purple rhizome
(perhaps someone has a different term that has been
used). This is seperate from PBF which is on the
leaves and usually several inches of the leaf.  There
are a lot of smaller iris (SDB, MDB etc.) with this
colouration in various intensities.  I started to
record this at one time and also classified some as
having both purple rhizome and PBF.  PBF is only on
leaves where exposed to sun, purple rhizome is most
pronounced  under leaves and not reduced by absence of
sun. If you do an epidermal peel of PBF you find it
only in the epidermis.

Chuck Chapman