Re: Homonymy

  • Subject: Re: Homonymy
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:08:11 -0800 (PST)

The rules for registration are laid down by an
international congress of horticulturalists. As
registrar Mike Lowe is expected to follow the
international cultivated Code. It is my understanding
that it still allows registrars to be even more
restrictive, but sets the basic standards that are
expected of each international registry. Since the
Code is over 500 pages I am sure that most of these
questions are addressed.

I do agree that it would be nice if registrants in
another language provided an English translation. It
would encourage a wider interest in their plants and
it is often easier to remember a word if it has a
meaning attached. I have tried at times to provide
translations of names for the SIGNA checklist and a
language dictionary is not always adequate. It would
be much better if the person providing the name could
verify a translation. It may be urban myth but it
seems I remember that one japanese Iris was once
circulated with words That sounded like a good
Japanese name but actually meant first shipment. The
sender had not meant it to be the name at all.

--- Sylvain RUAUD <sylvain.ruaud@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> It's difficult to find a good name for a new
> variety, and the work of the registrar is more and
> more delicate: sometimes a problem appears.
>
> Loic Tasquier raised one of them, when he drew
> attention about the homonymy between ALIENOR
> D'AQUITAINE and ELEANOR OF AQUITAINE.
>
> These two names allude to the same person, but are
> expressed in two different languages.
>
> Mike Greenfield says that there is no homonymy
> because all the words used are not the same, and are
> not written in the same order.
>

> For me, homonymy exists if we refer to the meaning
> of the name.
>
> That is the same thing between LADIES ONLY and its
> translation in French POUR DAMES SEULEMENT.
>
> In both cases the persons who gave the names wanted
> to say the same thing.
>

> The homonymy is in the meaning, even if the words
> are different.
>
> If the homonymy would appear only when the names use
> the same words, that seems to me too restrictive,
> and I regret that the instructions about
> registration would be not more precise.
>

> A doubt can appear all at once when the names are
> expressed in languages which are parents, like
> English and French.
>
> But when a name is written in a very different
> language, homonymy exists too, even though it is
> more secretive: GOLDEN CROWN and ZOLOTAYA KORONA are
> homonymous, but we can observe this homonymy only if
> we understand the English and Russian languages !
>

> To avoid these difficulties, I suggest that when a
> name is expressed in anyone else language but
> English, the originator gives the English
> translation of this name.
>
> Because the registrar cannot know the whole
> languages of the world.
>
> And another advantage would be, because every people
> could understand what the name means.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group