Re: Re:Let't improve the register!

  • Subject: Re: Re:Let't improve the register!
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:45:19 -0500

Well, now, let's see . . . if the criterion is that new entries should not mean the same as names already registered in another language, I think we'd be locking the barn after the horse has flown (I've always wondered if that was Pegasus).  Not just one horse, but a vast herd.  For a very small example, I have culled the following names, all from our online AIS registry:
Kanarievogel and Canary Bird
Rotvogel and Redbird
Schneevogel and Snowbird
Weisse Taube and White Dove
Weisschen and Little White
That's just some of the Germans.  Then we have the French:
Dame Blanche and White Lady
Reine Blanche and White Queen
Chevalier Noir and Black Knight
Blancheneige and Snow White (not to forget the Germans' Schneeweisschen)
Mont Blanc, Mount Blanc and Monte Bianco (here come the Italians)
Chapeau Blanc, White Hat and Sombrero Blanco (and the Spaniards)
The list could go on, and I'm afraid I'd be here until the cows come home trying to identify all the translingual duplications.
Does it matter?  Well, personally, I'd hate not to be able to name an iris Morrie the Horseman because Maurice Chevalier was already taken.
Loic, I think you have your work cut out for you.  --  Griff
zone 7 in Virginia