Re: Re:Let't improve the register!

  • Subject: Re: Re:Let't improve the register!
  • From: "loic tasquier" <tasquierloic@cs.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:55:06 +0100

Right Griff !

So be it then:

The MEANING has not to be taken into consideration when registering an iris.
It's only the way the name LOOKS and SOUNDS !

Still, it's not enough to get rid of the meaning to avoid any complication!

There will always be a moment when we'll have to draw the line:

How close the LOOK or the SOUND can be ?

Mike Lowe has decided that ELEANOR OF AQUITAINE was not close enough to ALIENOR D'AQUITAINE to refuse it.
Here's what he just sent me to explain his choice:

Hi Loic,

Have been swotting heavily on the R & I and Ghio pedigrees so haven't had
time to address this.

I will give you the same explanation we furnished Lawrence:

We conducted a careful and extensive evaluation of the
similarities/differences between ALIENOR D'AQUITAINE and ELEANOR OF
AQUITAINE when we approved the epithet on 7/30/2004. Our conclusion was that
the cultivar epithets in question were sufficiently distinctive/different
regarding verbal usage, catalog usage, printed denomination lists and
electronic databases to permit approval of ELEANOR OF AQUITAINE.

Our reasoning leading to the above conclusion is as follows:

Verbal -< the two epithets are pronounced with sufficient variance that the
possibility of confusion is very small.

Cataloging -- ALIENOR D'AQUITAINE is an IB, ELEANOR OF AQUITAINE a TB and in
the majority of catalogs are listed in their respective sections. In those
cases where the document consists of one alphabetized list the two cultivars
will be separated due to the different spelling.

Printed denomination lists (Check Lists, R & Is) -- Spelling of the two
epithets will ensure a large separation between the position listing the two
cultivars in the documents. When the above documents are employed to obtain
a listing of an iris named in honor of the queen of France, 1137­52 and of
England 1154­89, an individual whose primary language is French will search
a different section of the reference work than would an individual primarily
employing English.

Electronic listing <- a search for OELEANOR OF AQUITAINE¹ will not produce
the listing OALIENOR D'AQUITAINE¹. A search using only OELEANOR¹ will not
produce OALIENOR¹. A search for OD'AQUITAINE¹ will only produce the listing
for ALIENOR D'AQUITAINE.

In short the two cultivar epithets are pronounced differently, spelled
differently, have a differing Oword count¹, are applied to cultivars in
differing classes, and originate and are largely circulated on different
continents. We consider the differences to be sufficient that the epithets
do not constitute an infraction of the rules and recommendations for naming
plants in cultivation as detailed in the OInternational Code of Nomenclature
for Cultivated Plants¹, 7th Ed. 2004.

Cheers,

Mike

I still regret that the attribution of a name obeys only to  mechanical definitions:

Pronounciation
Spelling
Cataloguing
Printed lists
Electronic listing

It's as if a computer could do the job.
Feels very unpleasant.
George Orwell would agree with me, i'm sure, but who reads books nowdays anyway !

Glad the debate got started, the issue is more important to me than you seem to realise.

To deliberately exclude the MEANING  from the list of the paramerers used for registration has implications that can't just be ridiculed with a joke.

Sincerely

Loic