Re: Re: [iris] REF: Translingual registrations

  • Subject: Re: Re: [iris] REF: Translingual registrations
  • From: "loic tasquier" <tasquierloic@cs.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:35:51 +0100

Hello Connie Eggen,
Pleased to meet you!

Here is the copy of the mail Griffin Crump sent 3 hours ago.
HE doesn't think my efforts are deceptive !

"All kidding aside (well, almost all), I agree with Loic that registering
irises named for the same person in different languages can lead to
confusion.  I see no real problem with generic names, such as Little Gem or
Dark Eyes, since the translations are usually quite different in appearance
and such things as little gems and dark eyes are innumerable.  But when we
are referring to the proper names of specific individual persons, we have a
different situation.  Loic mentioned "Joan of Arc" as an example of such a
problem that could occur in the future.  Oddly, it was only 3 months ago
that I decided I wanted to register a seedling as "Joan of Arc".  On
scouring the Checklist, I found JEANNE D'ARC already recorded.  As far as I
was concerned, another iris had already been named "Joan of Arc", the name
simply rendered in its original French.  Happily, I was still able to honor
my saint with her title, MAID OF ORLEANS.

People like to change foreign proper names into their familiar domestic,
more easily pronounced versions, and educated people know that.  Thus, the
possibility exists that someone hearing ELEANOR OF AQUITAINE in
conversation, or seeing it referred to without accompanying date or
hybridizer would think that ALIENOR D'AQUITAINE was meant.   --  Griff"

That idea of Sophistry was introduced by Anner Whitehead and in only invoves

This forum is not the place to call each others names!