AB: seedling

  • Subject: AB: seedling
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:03:49 -0600

This is a result of some of my quirky daubing. The cross is STRIPED
BUTTERFLY X DESERT FURY. Last spring after one year it put up seven bloom
stalks with a lot of fans left over. Five stalks were completely frozen
out,, but two managed to bloom some buds though they had damage. What
really interested me here was a pod obtained via DESERT MOONLIGHT that had
18 seeds with strong aril collars. That count far exceeds anything I've
ever gotten from this type cross. The pod was knocked off in the hail
storm, but I laid it out to dry and planted the seeds anyway. Don't expect
to see any germination. With first bloom possible as soon as eight weeks
from now I'm hoping to find out if it will repeat that success. I'm also
wondering how much the freeze altered its appearance. This bloom had enough
freeze damage to make me doubt I've seen a normal bloom. In a year where
things suffered, this one really grew well. Lots of fans that should bloom
if nothing happens.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Recent Activity