Photo: "Twinning" in iris seedlings

  • Subject: Photo: "Twinning" in iris seedlings
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:59:03 EST

Pictured below (I hope) is a photo of one of the seedlings from a cross of a 1/2 arilbred seedling (TET) by I. croatica Lemperg Purple, a tetraploid bearded species.  5 seeds were created by the cross, and three of the seedlings were normal, while 2 seedlings are abnormal appearing.  You will note in the photo that the central (original) fan looks as if it were siamese twins.  The fan on the left is the same in appearance, while the increase on the right appears to be developing normally.  All 5 seedlings, while babies, had variegated foliage as well.  We tossed this idea around in the aril robin, and some had not seen this, while a few predicted the seedlings would die as babies.  I showed the picture to Terry Aitken, Bennett Jones, and Will Plotner at our fall regional meeting in Seattle in October, but they had seen nothing like it.  One of the fellows from our region who hybrdizes Japanese iris said he had seen it occur in Japanese iris seedlings.  He said it results from an interruption in cell division. Donald Eaves of Texas, who contributes arilbred and other photos to this site says he has had several 1/4 arilbreds do the same "twinning."  Has anyone out there had the same experience, and did the seedlings ever bloom?  If so, did both sides of the "twin" bloom the same color?

Elm

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group