Blooming today - I. ungularis #1

  • Subject: Blooming today - I. ungularis #1
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:57:21 -0800 (PST)

I am attaching photos of I. ungularis, a nice winter blooming species which normally blooms here in So. Cal. from early December until the end of January.  Each stalk has only 1 flower.  My opinion is that they pop from nowhere into bloom in one night as I have never been able to find bloom stalks with a bud.  Of course the stems are only about 8" long, the leaves are about 18-24" in a large mound, and the flowers last about 1 1/2 days even if picked.  For you snow people, I am sending a picture which shows the ungluaris clumps with the tomatoes.
Jan in Chatsworth