Re: HYB: Luminata seedling

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Luminata seedling
  • From: "loic tasquier" <tasquierloic@cs.com>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:00:55 +0100

My ! you ARE up early!!!

So Double Vision is an option!
Paul said he had weak stems with it, as well as with Double Click, but you are right, it depends on what you cross them with.
Thank you for the story!

Don't know if it's right to be always 100% thorough in the selection and discard slow growers; as you say, they still might be giving good things in the second generation. But this is what is difficult in selecting!
I've pulled things last year that i now regret... I had been told the hardest part was pulling the so-so ones, and i think i over suppressed my feelings in order to do it, and over did it!
I should have listened more to my heart!
Hope i will know better this spring...

It is quite surprising to see what happens with the seedlings, it's true. ( for me, it's very new, my first serious batch (1000) is only 2 years old!)
Some crosses have ALL the siblings grow like mad, some crosses have ALL the siblings melt and vanish (in my rich heavy sticky clay...) , and some crosses have one or two growing like mad, one or two melting and vanishing, and the rest growing at such a slow pace it will  takes ages to have enough just to share with the neighbour!

Hope the ones that grow like weeds won't be all dogs......

Loïc