Re: Broken Colour # 6

  • Subject: Re: Broken Colour # 6
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 12:36:27 -0500

Here are several interesting photos.

Two of Alpha Gnu. One a normal presentation, the other of a sport of
Alpha Gnu without the gene that causes Broken Colour. . Also a photo of
Batik that is split half and half, with half showing normal plicat
patterning and half showing normal cultivar colouration of BC.

I also have a sport of Batik that is free of any BC. I also had a sport
of Batik that was solid dark purple, near black, but have lost this
sport. This was of the typical Ae purple appearance ans similar to the
near balck seedling I can occasionally get from a plicata cross.

In these two case if I was forced to say where the transposon was I
would say it was in an Ae (anthocyanin enhancement ) gene. I have
numerous near black solid coloured seedlings from crosses of plicatas
and many of these will occasionally have a sectoral mutation where the
purple is removed, showing a normal classic plicata pattern underlay.

Chuck Chapman

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image