--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Autmirislvr@... wrote:
I'll admit that I'm not really reading the BC posts this
week...explosive germination going on here... I'm overwhelmed... so
if this has been said I apologise...

I'm aware that there are different cell layers for different
pigments/patterns, although I'm not well versed. Pictures of BC's
like the Chimera Alpha Gnu and my own observations of BC patterning
suggest that these layers may be signifigant beyond which pigment.

I wonder if we shouldn't think of BC as a pattern that is overlaid on
top of plicata. Or maybe under... or maybe some combination of the
two. I think someone mentioned glaciata or some other function
that "clears" the ground. It's a fuzzy idea I know.

I think of the cell layers as seperate layers of acetate on some
anatomy charts I've seen, which I've said before. I buy the bit
about codons at play in the pigments, but maybe the "ground" on a
typical plicata is just an especially dense, and therefore
opaque, "pattern" that lives in a central cell layer.

I've seen petals that showed no dotting or stippling on the open
front surface but had stippling across the back side of the petal
that didn't show through.

It's just a wondering... I'm still a newbie after all...

> I'm posting this on both the iris list and the photo list.?
> The recent discussion on broken color generated a request (Linda)?
that I repost a picture of this seedling?which popped up
spontaneously from my breeding for red/yellow reblooming plicata.? I
don't breed for broken color.?
> Cross:
> The pod parent was introduced as All Revved Up and the pollen
parent of ARU is Radiant Bliss.? On the pollen side we have Radiant
Bliss again crossed by pollen from a seedling related to?Rebound.??
> 1510-01Re:Innocent Star x (Earl of Essex x Hot Streak) X 1402-
01:0924-01Re(Earl of Essex x Hot Streak) x 0927-01: (Theatre x
(Highland Chief x Earl of Essex))
> Condensed=All Revved Up X (Radiant Bliss x (Theatre x (Highland
Chief x Earl of Essex))
> Each bloom is marked differently.? It's my belief that the broken
color comes from Theatre.? None have appeared from other crosses with
either Radiant Bliss or Rebound.?
> Broken color irises have not grown well in my gardens, but this one
appears to be quite strong.??A couple of clumps?have been moved to my
reselect bed.? A sibling did rebloom but not this one.?