Re: still more broken color

  • Subject: Re: still more broken color
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:14:45 -0000

> If this is indeed what is happening here there may be dramatic
> differences in reciprocal crosses in regards to variegated foliage.
Do
> you have any information re reciprocal crosses?

No, I don't. These crosses are nearly always TBxAB rather than the
other direction. TBs bloom later generally and the pollen has been
saved from the earlier AB bloom. Since that pattern coincides with
some of my theories on maternal inheritance and is the direction I
want to go, I haven't tried reciprocal crosses. There is nearly
always a seedling with streaked foliage among the results though.
Most are normal green, but the streaked foliage sibling is a good
indication the cross is true. Currently of six new seedlings from a
cross of TELEPATHY X MASADA'S GLORY, one has the streaked foliage.
The type cross gives other unsettled things as well. A good many of
those seedlings will also twin. Sometimes that plant division will
occur repeatedly - meaning a fan that's a twin will divide again.
This habit seems to take an enormous amount of plant energy keeping a
seedling from growing. Those that have survived usually stop that
kind of division if they live long enough and will begin to grow
normally. I've one that's been here a few years now, though, that
will still double on the occasional fan even as a mature plant. I'd
thought that these plants were hopeless in producing a viable seed,
but last year a streaked foliage plant set a pod that resulted in a
seedling. It's not going to survive long term, I think, since it's a
weak grower but that happens among seedlings anyway and may not have
anything to do with the streaked foliage parent. Unfortunately that
parent bloomed out so there won't be another chance.

Thanks for your reply.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

> Chuck Chapman
>

> still more broken color
>
> Posted by: "Donald Eaves"
> donald@...
>

> d7432da
>

> Mon Jan 5, 2009 8:18 am (PST)
>

> So, Chuck, is it the same reactivation of inactive
genes