Re: Digest Number 5066

  • Subject: Re: Digest Number 5066
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:58:54 -0500

Thanks for information. It would be nice to have reciprocal cross in
these circumstances.

The broken colour flower where the BC is with the carotenes, would
likely be of the plastid type of genetics. Although there could be a
transposon in plastid control genes. In some cases, the same genetics
can cause variegated foliage that carries through to the flower. This
gets a bit complex. The apical meristem has three layers of division.
On leaves the outer layer doesn't have plastids, or very very few.In
this outer layer there can be some anthocyanin, most often seen as
purple leaf base foliage. When it gets to flowers this layer of cells
is often omitted so that the flower epidermal layer has plastids.
Usually the variegation doesn't carry through from the leaves to the
flowers. I'm not sure how this does this sometimes but not others.
Could have something to do with the change of the plastids from
chloroplasts to chromoplasts.

What is most puzzling is how in some plicatas and in some BC, both the
carotenes and anthocyanins are synchronized and produced together in
some cells and absence in other cells.

Chuck Chapman

Re: still more broken color

Posted by: "donald"
donald@eastland.net

d7432da

Tue Jan 6, 2009 6:14 am (PST)

=0

> If this is indeed what is happening here there may be dramatic

> differences in reciprocal crosses in regards to variegated
foliage.

Do

> you have any information re reciprocal crosses?

No, I don't. These crosses are nearly always TBxAB rather than the

other direction. TBs bloom later generally and the pollen has been

saved from the earlier AB bloom. Since that pattern coincides with

some of my theories on maternal inheritance and is the direction I

want to go, I haven't tried reciprocal crosses. There is nearly

always a seedling with streaked foliage among the results though.

Most are normal green, but the streaked foliage sibling is a good

indication the cross is true. Currently of six new seedlings from a

cross of TELEPATHY X MASADA'S GLORY, one has the streaked foliage.

The type cross gives other unsettled things as well. A good many of

those seedlings will also twin. Sometimes that plant division will

occur repeatedly - meaning a fan that's a twin will divide again.

This habit seems to take an enormous amount of plant energy keeping a

seedling from growing. Those that have survived usually stop that

kind of division if they live long enough and will begin to grow

normally. I've one that's been here a few years now, though, that

will still double on the occasional fan even as a mature plant. I'd

thoug
ht that these plants were hopeless in producing a viable seed,

but last year a streaked foliage plant set a pod that resulted in a

seedling. It's not going to survive long term, I think, since it's a

weak grower but that happens among seedlings anyway and may not have

anything to do with the streaked foliage parent. Unfortunately that

parent bloomed out so there won't be another chance.

Thanks for your reply.

Donald Eaves

donald@eastland.net

Texas Zone 7b, USA