Re: Parents and pigments was Pink X pink giving apricot

  • Subject: Re: Parents and pigments was Pink X pink giving apricot
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:24:35 -0500

There three genetic forms of inheritance. Nucleus, plastids and
mitochondria. They all carry their own genetic material. Plastids have
passed on a lot of the control of their material to the nucleus.

Plastids and mitochondria are inherited through maternal, pod parent.
The plastids are, as chloroplasts, involved in plant energy system,
and as chromolplasts , in flower colour. The plastids are the
manufacturing place and mainly storage units of all the cartenoid
pigments. So a maternal influence on plant health, vigour and
consequently it's ability to produce flower stalk ,and flowers. And as
chromoplasts, can effect colour, particularly the cartenoid pigments.

In a number of plants, particularly plicatas, such as red on white and
red-violet on white, both of the pigment systems, water based (in
vacuole) and oil based in plastids are both distributed in same cells
and both absent in same cells, controlled by some mechanism. I do
suspect that there may be a maternal influence from this, through
plastid inheritance.

I also see times when Anthocyanin Vascular Intrusions (AVI) seem to
also follow this pattern. Again I suspect plastid controls .

Thus these parental variations seen in anthocyanin would seem to be a
plastid control, not an anthocyanin control.

So, I would say that there is cartenoid influences of maternal
inheritance of colour, through plastids.

I haven't seen any di
rect evidence that the inheritance per say of
anthocyanin is influenced by which parent is the pod parent in a
reciprocal cross.

There are other mechanism which perhaps could do that, but I would need
a significant number of offspring from reciprocal crosses, where there
is differences in presence or absence of anthocyanin or intensity of
anthocyanin colour (not just a different shade because cartenoid
pigment combines with anthocyanin to give appearance of a different
colour) before I would say that there is a maternal/paternal effect on
inheritance of anthocyanin.

Chuck Chapman

Re: Pink X pink giving apricot

Posted by: "Autmirislvr@aol.com"
Autmirislvr@aol.com

Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:12 am (PST)

<<I haven't seen anything to suggest to me that the inheritance
of

anthocyanin is parental influenced.>>

Not sure I understand.??Are you saying that the?pod parent has no added
or increased influence over the pollen parent when it comes to
inheritance of anthocyanin????

Do you consider this to be true with all color inheritance??

Betty