CULT: weather and seedlings

  • Subject: CULT: weather and seedlings
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:35:38 -0600

After being 82F with lows in the 50s for two days at the end of last week,
it's now in the 20s and not supposed to get above freezing 'til sometime
tomorrow. So here's a photographic capture of insanity. Nearly a hundred
pots with seedlings or seeds planted moved into the garage for the duration.
The open box in the top photo is the one where you can see just the corner
of it in the lower left of the bottom photo. The stack/pile are packed with
pots. A few pots are sitting on top of the boxes and on top of the
lawnmower. Not quite enough boxes to hold everything. The boxes are for
mice protection. They can and will destroy really young seedlings and will
dig around the roots of the older ones. Plus the garage has a side door
open and one bay door not completely shut to allow the dogs to come and go
as they please. Them trying to catch a mouse in a pyramid of clay pots
would end up being a disaster. I don't know why I bother leaving it open
for them. I think it has more to do with my misery in the cold than
anything to do with them. They mostly spend their time outside by choice.
36F in the garage, but with the duration predicted for this freeze I may
shut it up and let some house heat into it for a while to ensure it doesn't
freeze.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA