  • Subject: RE: AB: CAREFREE DAYS X AT LAST family
  • From: "karl becker" <kbecker95@wi.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 08:09:37 -0800

From: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com [mailto:iris-photos@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Donald Eaves
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 5:06 PM
To: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [iris-photos] AB: CAREFREE DAYS X AT LAST family

Happy New Year folks!

I don't make as many crosses of this type as I used to. I'm overrun with
results that I haven't given up on quite yet. The object is to find a
seedling that will go another generation with an AB parent and seedlings
that will do that are few and far between. One problem that shows up in
these seedlings is unstable growth. This cross had good germination, but
was the worst for displaying squirrelly growth that I've ever had. Every
seedling had it. Sometimes they will outgrow the odd growth and grow
normally, but that sometimes takes 2-3 years. Sometimes they never do. I
never know what I'll see from such a cross. Often they don't resemble
either parent. Here, they were junk. Interesting, fun and very colorful in
the garden, but still junk. Only #1 had quit the odd growth by the time it
bloomed. Oddly, nearly every one tried to make a pod. Some tried multiple
pods. However, all the pods aborted before maturity except a pod on #1
which only had a single seed. Because the colors had so much snap and
because the tendency to attempt a pod was so strong, these will be given
some time to see if they settle down and perhaps do better. Only ti! me will

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA