Re: AB: goal failure - AT LAST X DESERT FURY
  • Subject: Re: AB: goal failure - AT LAST X DESERT FURY
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 01:36:21 -0000

> By the way, what do you consider "squirrelly"?

Seedlings that twin and triple and more on occasion. Sort of looks like pineappling that's shown in the photos only it's very small seedlings that divide. Not increase. They can start doing it at less than an inch high. Makes for very weak plants and lots of losses unless they get good care. All their energy seems to go toward the division process and getting the plant to any size at all can be very slow. If they haven't outgrown it by the time they might be blooming age, they usually don't manage to bloom. If they do, the stalks tend to be short with variable thickness and a good many of the blooms will likely be missing parts or have extra parts. I've simply let a lot die because they are too much trouble. I'm always curious, though, so I've also managed to grow some for some years. That's how I learned that some will eventually grow normally and quit doing the strange growth altogether. It really has been limited to plants of the TBxAB type seedlings. I don't see it in TB seedlings or AB crosses that have balanced amphidiploid parents as a general rule. I think I've only had one TB and one AB of the type twin. But lots of the 1st generation quarterbred types will produce those kinds of seedlings. That's also where seedlings with variegated foliage show up.

Did you catch a squirrel? Dumplings in the New Year perhaps? :).