REB: reddish winter maiden
  • Subject: REB: reddish winter maiden
  • From: <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 22:15:03 -0500

Griff -
Unless otherwise noted, all these I've been posting were potted
before hard frost and indoors since.  If I'd come up with something
that could withstand the 20 inches of snow and sub-zero wind chills
we've already had and still open outdoors, I'd be making a much bigger
deal out of it, believe you me!
I potted 20 this fall to bring in.  About a third of them gave up on blooming
either because I yanked them up or they'd had too much cold by the time
I did.  It's hard to tell if they are behaving badly because of stress or they
can't do any better, but I was bloom-deprived last fall, really was dying to
see what they looked like, and have always had a problem with the concept
of moderation.  With no rain here until mid-October, stalks started showing
way too late to make it outdoors.
Seems like the reddish ones always have gobs of pollen.  Anybody else see
the same?
Here's another shot of the Renown X Wearing Rubies RE seedling that shows
the extensive markings on upper third of falls. Top view makes the standards
look short, but they're not.  I should be seeing grandchildren of Renown in May.
Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5

JPEG image