Re: REB Blue Moonlight X Sharpshooter fall maiden
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: REB Blue Moonlight X Sharpshooter fall maiden
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 08:17:03 -0500 (EST)

This looks like it has good potential.  If memory serves, Blue Moonlight always bloomed short when I grew it at Alvaton.

Mary Lou, please elaborate a bit.  Are you saying they don't have the strength to hold up the blooms?  Or do they "look" bad?  Or other?
<<Of all inherited traits, seems like weak stalks in pod parent is as close to
'always' as anything gets in tetraploid genetics.>>
Years ago, I grew several of Bernard Hamner's irises.  Some of them had strange terminals.  I don't quite know how to describe them except they were very slender at the tip and just looked different than the terminals on other irises.  One of Lloyd's seedling that I grew had this type of terminal and they still occasionally show up in the garden.
Betty W.   . . .