Re: HYB seeds from "Cloud Shadow"
  • Subject: Re: HYB seeds from "Cloud Shadow"
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 12:27:49 -0500 (EST)

,<<If it was a recessive only, then it would have been 100%. The only explination  that I can se so far is  two dominants, which gives the 25%>>
I seem to have some problems (still) understanding the difference in breeding with dominants & recessives.
Based on the words--dominant should mean that these genes will prevale over others.  If you cross two purple selfs, will you not get puple selfs?  You have both a dominant pattern--(self) and a dominant color--(purple.)
Recessive--does this not mean that the genes try to disappear?  Thus you must have some on both sides of the cross to have any chance of getting the color etc..?  You only get pink irises if pink exists on both sides of the cross.

As to rebloom, I've not seen any cross that comes close to producing 100% rebloom in my climate.
Betty W.   . . . . also posting this on iris talk.