hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: re: Photos of Aril crosses and their seedlings
  • Subject: Re: re: Photos of Aril crosses and their seedlings
  • From: AISSlides <gbyp123@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:46:28 -0800 (PST)


Hello Donald,
Yes, this is what I am looking for.  Think you had some others.
I don't need a large file, this size will do.  Thank you so much!

From: Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net>
To: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, January 11, 2011 4:07:32 PM
Subject: [iris-photos] re: Photos of Aril crosses and their seedlings



I think you are talking about these sorts that I've been posting. You have
permission, but the original jpg files are huge! Did you want those?

I considered this cross the oddest cross I bloomed last year. The pod
parent (a darker, blue-purple than the photo shows with a small dark signal
that's not evident in the photo) is an attractive, large bloom on tall, very
snaky stalks. Surpassing Yellow is short and blooms on very straight stalks
despite having a large bloom. I wanted to see if I could split the
difference. With the median genes in Surpassing Yellow, I really didn't
expect a pod from the initial cross. It did, but the cross seemed
completely illogical between the two blooms. I really expected a lot of
mud. In fact, the experiment worked. The stalks were shorter and
straighter. Instead of mud, which in my mind is an unattractive blend that
is opaque, I got a smoky effect. All of the blooms had it to some extent.
Because it was clear I didn't consider it muddy though the colors would have
been had they been opaque. I found the colors and patterns oddly attractive
and unusual. I hadn't planned on doing anything with them, but when I'm
walking around with the painter's brush and a container of pollen things
happen. I didn't expect much fertility here, but 5 of 6 seedlings set pods
and I saw the first sprouts this week from two of the pods. No idea what
they'll produce. They are something of a curiosity for me.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement