Re: CULT: year round food
  • Subject: Re: CULT: year round food
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 22:48:22 -0500

Heck, Donald  --  I’m sorry for your loss.  Hope you solve the problem and beat it.  --  Griff
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:26 PM
Subject: [iris-photos] CULT: year round food

In summer and fall it's grasshoppers. In winter and spring when it's dry
it's something else. Not totally sure who the culpret is, but I strongly
suspect field rats. They were the cause year before last when it had been
dry and there was nothing green in the winter months. When I finally caught
one in a trap it was as large as a tree squirrel. At least so far they
aren't eating all the wiring they can find. It's not mice because a wire
basket is enough to prevent further damage and they would have no trouble
getting inside the wires. Not deer or I'd have seen the tracks. Might be
cottontails, but they hang around in the iris beds year round and don't
damage them. Also the dogs live and dream about chasing them. The damage
is way to widespread for them to have overlooked rabbits for that long.
Whole areas of the iris look like they've had a weedeater taken to them -
and a ragged job of it at that. Every day there is more damage. Can't win.
Beds that were filled up with oak leaves promptly get eaten when they are
cleared. This was a seedling from last year. That group hasn't had any
breaks at all from the time they were planted. Probably will have to wait
another year to see much bloom from them.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA