Re: RE: [iris] Decadence

Hi Char,

Found this as a cross-post from Iris-Photos, but I'm glad you did!

For those who don't know where this conversation came from, it's from iris-talk, and you can see the archived topic startup here http://www.hort.net/lists/iris/jan12/msg00010.html

I was totally shocked that Drama Queen won the Dykes this year ... no offense, KK, if you're lurking!  I totally loved it when I saw it at a show in Oregon in 2003, and have had it in the garden since that year.  In SEVEN years, I had never seen it bloom even once, and thought I had lost it totally.

Here, last spring, it blooms in between a HUGE rugosa rose, and some overpowering wild-orange daylilies --- where I thought I had the iris 'Throb' planted.  You can imagine my surprise when the buds peeked out of the sheaths and were plicata striped ins! tead of orange!
I couldn't vote for it, simply because I had not seen it blooming 2 years in a row.  But I wonder how many of us did. Every photo and show stalk I had seen of it was terrific, but without seeing it in a garden other than mine, it would have been wrong to vote for it.

Needless to say, I hybridized it with anything and everything, since I believe the seedlings that survive the michigan winters here will have the better climate advantage and retain the genetic appeal of it's mother.

The curious thing is that another fancy plicata, 'Laugh Lines' bloomed last spring, also.  I had not seen that one in bloom for about 5 years, and it was in a garden all by itself.

How complicated can the voting system become?

On Jan 9, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Char Holte wrot! e:

I agree with Tom's evaluation. All the way! We have two small hybridizers
here in my area who do formidable work but get little recognition. I can't
tell you how great their work is but if you see their work you know right
away they know what they are doing.