Re: CULTURE: OT: (was Re: Decadence)
  • Subject: Re: CULTURE: OT: (was Re: Decadence)
  • From: Cordesview <cordesview@speednetllc.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:31:45 -0500

Hi Donald,

Well, worrisome in what way?  That bunny trail could go in three directions...  eh!  If I'm worried that they're not going to get a "good" Michigan winter, I'm not.  If anything, this could be closer to what most of these varieties think is "normal".  :-)

I wonder sometimes if we give plants too much credit for acting like humans, too.  I mean, winter is winter, and dormancy is dormancy.  So, if a plant can withstand a good hard freeze, then could it stand the freeze for just 2 weeks or 2 or 4 months?

We do this all the time "forcing" bulbs.  But do the iris *really* know the difference when it come to winter dormancy?

One thing I really have noticed, is that so many newer varieties of TB's tend to "sink" into the soil like turtle-like submarines over the course of 3 - 5 years.  The historics, if they ever do this, would! still bloom, but newer varieties sometimes never to unless they are "lifted" -- or sometimes I refer to it as "get redeemed!"  :-)

Adam Cordes
President - Mio Irisarians
Region 6
Zone 4 (and a half . . .J)
Like us on Facebook! ~ 'Mio Irisarians' ~