Reb: what the.. Cricket Song surprise...
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Reb: what the.. Cricket Song surprise...
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:42:27 -0500

It's an awful photo, but I was so astonished, had to share. Tom
Silver's CRICKET SONG.

I plant nearly everything that I haven't bred myself these days into big
pots, where I can give them better care than out in the open ground.
New aquisitions are kept under a double layer of Reemay type nonwoven
fabric plant bed cover to give them some protection from the abrupt ups
and downs in temperature that we used to get every winter (and may see
again...).

So with a few sunny warm days, I pulled off the covers to weed and
unfortunately didn't see the bloom (I mean, who'd expect such a thing in
Jan here!) until I'd pulled off a petal along with the chickweed. 3
stalks, multiple frozen buds on 2 of them, but at least one unfrozen bud
on 2.

Amazing, Tom. Anthers are shriveled, but if it keeps this up, & doesn't
succumb to "summer crud", I will try to use it on something. Gonna put
this one in two pots and put one on the sunporch next winter!

The juniona X HTB looks good so far too.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7, (b according to the latest map).
Enjoying GW's winters, but worrying a bit about surviving the coming
summers!

JPEG image