Re: TB: manure, Catch A Star
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: TB: manure, Catch A Star
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:06:47 -0500

A major warning about burying manure/compost under irises - it will
concentrate worms, and all the little vermin who like to eat worms!
Major mole tunneling, and voles & mice. From what I read/hear, less
of a problem if it's mixed in than when it's buried.

I didn't think that would be a problem with pots, but somebody even
tunneled into a few of the covered pots this winter - never have seen
that before. Assume it was voles - they ate roots off a couple of
rhizomes. Drainage holes in the pots look too small for a mole. ? If
this keeps up, will start putting screen in the bottoms of the pots.

I don't currently have a good mole dog (or even a bad mole dog!), & am
definitely starting to have problems with critters tunneling out in the
garden rows where I've mulched heavily with manure. Fortunately so far,
they seem to be staying between the rows where the manure is, rather
than burrowing under the irises.

> I haven't done a control test to see if it would work better buried.

You are welcome. Let's hope it wants to join the gene pool here &
doesn't turn out to be summer crud sensitive. Or stalks esp sensitive
to freezes. etc etc.