REB: What's going on
  • Subject: REB: What's going on
  • From: <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 22:03:00 -0500

Yes, it's a yummy peachy pink, more saturated on shoulders.  I like the
texture veining too.
Potting them up & keeping them indoors over the winter messes
up their internal clocks for awhile.  I've been doing it for a few years
and, in general they will be bigger with better branching, more buds,
better form and more intense color when mature clumps blooming outdoors.
Also, generally earlier.  Just potting them up delays them about 2 weeks,
unless you take a huge clump of dirt, so roots aren't disturbed, or if almost
ready to open anyway.
If you like silly experiments, try potting something up this spring with stalks
halfway to bloom.  Compare the stalk with ones not disturbed.
Orange Popsicle has been completely healthy and cold hardy here.  Good parent
for the color in this climate.  Registered at 33", blooms here at 35-36".  The
seedling pod parent of this one is an Emma Cook pattern with intense color.
A sib to the pollen parent has become a standout (and earlier) meanwhile, and
is EC pattern also, so I'm hoping to try the cross again this spring with it instead.
The pollen parent of this one is a hard yellow, but thanks to my parent marker,
I now know it can give orange-ish.
Here's a less flattering photo of the stalk.  Keep in mind it was stressed.  But
the branches are there.  Rest of the clump wintered outside, so I'll be hoping to
cross it in 4 months.
Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5 - warming up this week

JPEG image