RE: Iris Name?
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: RE: Iris Name?
  • From: <donald@txol.net>
  • Date: 26 Jan 2014 12:11:19 -0800

My suggestion of Cayenne Capers was of a possibility, not a certain identification.  I'm sure Charley recognized it as a suggestion.  Gibson plic intros seem a good place to look here.  But John is correct about identifying plants by photo.  They tend not to give pertinent information regarding height, bloom time, PBF and other identification essentials, not to mention color variations due to time the photo was taken and the light variables and camera variables and monitor variables.  And the encyclopedia, while helpful, still has errors.  I know there is one entry where two of my own photos have been used for the cultivar, but one photo is of another cultivar which is related and has similarities but incorrect for the entry.  I just haven't gotten around to contacting Robert Pries about removing the incorrect one.  There are some iris cultivars that are just easier to i.d. than others, even if photos are what you h! ave.  Bewilderbeast comes to mind.  The possibilities aren't exactly endless for it.  Makes for a short list.  That's why I mentioned Gibson by name.  The iris has characteristics that suggest a lot of his work.  Info that can hopefully narrow the search.

Donald Eaves