Re: RE: Iris Name?
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com

Epistemologists would undoubtedly question whether we can know anything. In daily practice we assume we can know an Iris cultivar when we see it. One of our mandates has been that a cultivar be distinct. But I doubt this has ever been the case. We can only identify plants based on the information we have and should be aware of how strong the risk is of being wrong. Identifying an unknown iris cultivar often seems impossible. But given a close examination of its description we can hazard a guess. Add to that, pictures to compare to, our risk goes down. Growing a known example from known provenance next to our suspect can increase our chance of accuracy. But no matter what we do there is always a risk of making a faulty identification. The question is then what level of risk is acceptable? We have tried to encourage originators of Iris cultivars to include a photo with registration. This seems about the best remedy to our identification problem. But even then it is no! t failsafe. I can remember coming across a photo in a hybridizers catalog that looked familiar. It was the same photo that was used to illustrate another named sibling a couple years before in the same hybridizers catalog. Maybe the Epistemolgists are right!

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Jones" <jijones@usjoneses.com>
To: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:25:20 PM
Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE: Iris Name?

I agree, it does have more and better information on irises. That does not change the issue of identifying irises from pictures on the web.

Thanks

John
John and Joanne Jones
Registrar-Recorders, American Iris Society
aisregistrar@irises.org

John Jones, Chairman, Electronic Services Committee
aiselectronicsvcs@irises.org

35572 Linda Drive
Fremont, CA 94536